The Lancet Window Project
The two recently restored lancet windows are part of a set of 4 installed as a memorial to Mrs. Louise Florence Makant of Wootton Lodge. In June 1890 Mrs. Makant died aged only 21, possibly in childbirth. Her husband sold Wootton Lodge and moved to Ryde. In 1894 he donated to the Parish of Wootton a set of 4 stained glass windows, depicting the four evangelists in memory of his late wife. These were installed in the chancel of St Edmund’s Church.
The window openings are 13th century lancets, a pair each on the North and South walls. The manufacturers were Cakebread, Robey and Co of Stoke Newington. They are now known as Cakebread’s.
The entry for Wootton in the original order book records simply:-
St Edmund’s Church, Wootton, Isle of Wight, Four Single-Light Windows, Chancel, the Four Evangelists
In 2006 stained glass specialists Southern Lights recommended that the glass in the two windows on the North wall windows should be repaired before the apparent damage became worse.
The first window was restored and reinstalled in 2008, the second in 2009.
Grateful thanks to our members and supporters for making this possible.